Monday, April 4, 2011

Benefits to Living with a Bunch of College Students

Here are some things I love about my job as a Resident Director...
- When women let me into their lives and are able to share things with me that they've never told anyone before and seeing the freedom that gives them.
- Talking with a student about their theology and being able to help them understand the support for their views and the other side's views (thanks, Gerry Breshears, for training me like that!).
- When someone is able to confront and identify a lie they've been believing about God or themselves, fear, or shame that has held them back from living in the freedom Christ has for them (thanks, Kerri Kenyon, for this framework).
- Having 80+ women who might want to watch girly TV and movies when Cory's not around.
- That college students will make up ridiculous reasons to dress ridiculously and that dressing ridiculously is inherently fun.
- Getting to be around women as they discover the uniqueness of who they've been created to be and celebrating that with them.
- If I ever feel inspired to bake there are 150 people around, some of whom are willing to try my creations.
- Lots and lots of people love my daughter.
- I get to learn SO MUCH from what everyone around me is learning in their lives.
- I don't have to pay rent.
- Seeing things in people they don't know are there yet and believing in people who don't believe in themselves yet (thanks, Dean Higle, for doing this for me when I was in college!).
- Having an excuse to buy and read books about redemption, theology, psychology, growth, and leadership. 
- Someone always has Top Ramen

No comments:

Post a Comment