Saturday, December 31, 2011

Being Where You Are

I want to teach Bible at the college level.  That's no secret to those who know me.  It's hard to believe that will ever happen.  I work at a school that wouldn't hire me because of my theological leaning (I'm Wesleyan Arminian and Egalitarian).  I also know that a lot of people get hired because of who they know and I don't know that many people. It's hard to stay motivated in my studies and my preparation when I'm afraid that I won't achieve my desired end.

But I was reminded today not to get lost in the future at the expense of fully living in and experiencing now. I need to fully be where I am while I prepare for the future. Practically that means that I need to not let the extra things that I think I should do to prepare for the future (like read a million books, learn German and French, etc.) inhibit me from doing what God has laid before me right now (like investing in the lives of the 120 women that are in my dorm).  On top of that, I need to be careful not to add too much to my already full plate so that I can adequately serve the women in my dorm and fully invest in the classes I'm taking that will help me complete my current degree. 

Why is it so hard to be where we are?  To hold on to hope and to not bite off more than we can chew?  How do you do it?

1 comment: