I love watching Perry Mason. He's on every weekday at noon on Fox 12. Every day during lunch this black and white lawyer from the 60's pursues truth, stands up for what is right, and does it with a calm, firm confidence. Lately, I've been watching Murder, She Wrote on Netflix. Jessica Fletcher, the star of this 80's show, is a mystery writer who constantly finds herself involved in real-life murders where her friends or family are being falsely accused. She works with local law enforcement to find out who really did it and exonerate her loved ones. I like a good murder-mystery, but I love Murder, She Wrote and Perry Mason. I think I've finally figured out why. In addition to their relentless pursuit of truth, these two characters are so firmly rooted and established in their pursuit of justice that they are never, even for a moment, tempted to compromise or look the other way. They cannot be subdued as they plead the case of the orphan and the widow. They are not deterred by threats to their person, their reputation, or their livelihood. I want to be like that.
"learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow’s cause." Isaiah 1:17
No comments:
Post a Comment